Published on: June 17, 2013
Areas of focus: Condominium Law and Real Estate Development
Stephen is a partner in the firm’s Condominium, Homeowners’ Association and Real Estate Development Groups, representing community associations, developers and lenders in a wide-ranging practice that includes: Reviewing, drafting and amending condominium documents; negotiating the terms of condominium association loans; and advising boards on complex rules enforcement, association insurance and other condominium governance issues. Although condominium law represents a large component of his practice, Stephen also works extensively with clients involved in the development of both market-rate and affordable housing.
Recognized locally and nationally for his contributions to the field of condominium and community association law, Stephen is known both for his expansive knowledge and his willingness to share it. A popular lecturer for CAI and CAI-New England and a frequent contributor to various industry publications, Stephen is also consulted frequently by other industry experts and quoted often in industry and general interest publications.
- Colby College
- New England School of Law
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS (PAST AND PRESENT)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Community Associations Institute (National)
- College of Community Association Lawyers – Board of Governors and 2015 President
- National Amicus Curiae Team
- CAI Federal Legislative Action Committee
- National Law Seminar Faculty
- Community Associations Institute-New England
- CAI-NE Attorneys Committee
- Past President
- Past Board of Directors
- Listed as a Massachusetts/New England Super Lawyer (2006 through 2016).
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America – New England Chapter
- Immediate Past President
- Board of Directors
- Team Intestinal Fortitude – Vice President since its inception in 2011
- Fifth Recipient in country to be Awarded the CAI Don Buck Lifetime Contributions Award in 2017 for exceptional leadership and mentoring in the fields of Condominium and HOA Law
- Co-Authored (with V. Douglas Errico) a chapter and legal forms entitled “Condominiums and Homeowners’ Associations” in Massachusetts Continuing Legal Association (MCLE) two-volume legal treatise, Real Estate Title Practice in Massachusetts, published 2003 and updated continuously thereafter
- Played a key role in drafting the Massachusetts “Priority Lien” legislation
- Instrumental in helping CAI-National win changes in the federal bankruptcy law enabling community associations to collect assessments from bankrupt owners.
- Negotiated and helped draft legislation revising Massachusetts environmental regulations, saving condominium associations in the state more than $50 million.
- Played a key role in drafting the federal Telecommunications Act and softening some of its potentially negative impacts on condominium associations.
- Recipient of the CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award in recognition of his outstanding leadership and demonstration of long-term dedication to CAI and the Community Association Industry.