Published on: June 17, 2013
Areas of focus: Condominium Law, Lien Enforcement, Commercial Real Estate, Development and Land Use
Richard is a partner in the firm and co-chair of its Lien Enforcement Department. His practice focuses on the representation of Condominium Associations and everything that entails, including: Lien enforcement, document interpretation, rule enforcement, administrative procedures, contract review, developer issues and insurance matters.
In over three decades of representing condominium communities, Richard has been actively involved in the industry, both professionally, as an attorney, and personally, as someone who believes in the common interest ownership concept and is committed to defending and advancing it.
His expertise and tendency to speak his mind have made Richard a popular lecturer. He speaks frequently on condominium and development issues to attorneys, condominium managers and other industry professionals. He also contributes regularly to CondoMedia, both directly (as a guest author) and indirectly, as a source quoted in other articles.
Richard is probably best known in New England for his success in winning “equal rights” to municipal services for condominium communities. Less well-known but equally significant has been his work on the Massachusetts Legislative Action Committee and the CAI National Amicus Team to influence laws and litigation affecting condominium communities in New England and nationwide.
- Boston University, cum laude, Economics (1981)
- Boston University School of Law (1984)
- Community Associations Institute of New England
- President – 1998 – 2008
- Chair, Membership Committee
- Member, Massachusetts Legislative Action Committee
- Community Associations Institute
- Member, National Amicus Team
- CondoMedia, Inc.
- Editorial Board Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Chairman, Condominium Committee
- Helped community associations throughout New England to enforce their right to receive the same municipal services available to all single-family homeowners.
- Helped draft amicus briefs for CAI-NE.
PUBLICATIONS AND EVENTS
Richard lectures frequently on condominium subjects throughout New England. He writes regular columns for CondoMedia. Some of his recent articles include:
- “The ABC’s of 6(D)s” (CondoMedia, September, 2012)
- “A Trash Story“ (CondoMedia, April, 2013)
- “Delegation of Authority” (CondoMedia, June, 2014)
- “Getting Priorities Straight” (CondoMedia, October, 2016)
- “Squaring Up” (CondoMedia, November, 2016)