Published on: June 17, 2013
Areas of focus: Condominium Law; Commercial and Residential Real Estate Acquisition and Development; and Legislative Action
Matt is a Partner in our Condominium Practice Group and Real Estate Department. Matt’s primary focus is in general condominium law as well as commercial and residential real estate acquisition, development and lending. As an attorney in the firm’s Condominium Law practice, Matt focuses on the review, drafting and amending of condominium documents, lien enforcement actions, enforcement of documents, and general real estate issues faced by condominium and community associations (easements, cost-sharing agreements, boundary disputes, zoning issues, etc.). In addition, Matt frequently advises condominium and community associations with respect to fair housing and discrimination matters, including requests for reasonable accommodations and modifications for disabilities. Matt has represented many condominium and community associations before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination.
In addition to the practice of condominium law, Matt also handles all aspects for commercial and residential real estate transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, development issues, financing, zoning matters, and title examinations.
Matt is also active in the firm’s and CAI’s legislative activities and advocacy. Matt tracks legislation and regulations at the state and local levels which could impact condominiums and community associations. Matt frequently testifies at the Massachusetts State House on behalf of the condominium and community association industry.
Matt frequently writes and lectures on a variety of topics related to condominium law and legislative action.
- Connecticut College (2001)
- New England School of Law (2008)
- Community Association’s Institute (New England)
- Massachusetts Legislative Action Committee (Chair)
- Massachusetts Attorneys’ Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Association
- Recipient of the 2009 CAI-NE Volunteer Award for his efforts in ensuring the passage of legislation that exempts many condominiums from the corporate excise tax.
- Recipient of the 2014 CAI-NE Outstanding Service Award
- Recipient of the 2015 CAI-NE Excellence in Government & Public Affairs
- Recipient of the 2018 CAI-NE Special Achievement Award for Advancing the Interests of Community Associations
- “Changes to the tax code and their effect on condominiums” in REBA News (Fall 2009)
- “Run-Off Rules; Proposed Stormwater Regulations and Their Effect on Condominiums” in Condo Media (February 2010)
- “New and Notable; Massachusetts 2009/2010 Legislative Updated” in Condo Media (May 2010)
- “New Funding Source; Massachusetts Legislature Passes Bill to Encourage Energy Conservation Projects” in Condo Media (July 2010)
- “Buyer Beware; Provisions of Condo Act May Be Waived” in Condo Media (August 2010)
- “Pieces of the Pie; Gov. Patrick Signs Legislation Amending How Condominium Percentage Interests Are Established” in Condo Media (October 2010)
- “Service Animal Regs Provide Guidance for Home Owner Associations and Landlords but Don’t Alter their Obligations” (December 2010)
- “Oil Heating Systems Upgrades” in Condo Media (August 2011)
- “Boston Energy Ordinance” in Condo Media (October 2013)
- “Change to Condominium Law Will Make it Easier for Associations to Obtain Mortgagee Consent when Amending Documents” (January 2015)
- “HUD Restrictions on Criminal Background Checks May Affect Condominium Sex Offender Ban” (June 2016)