Published on: June 17, 2013
Areas of focus: Condominium Law; Commercial and Residential Real Estate Acquisition and Development; and Legislative Action
Matt is a Partner in our Condominium Practice Group and Real Estate Department. As an attorney in the firm’s Condominium Group, Matt focuses on the review and drafting of condominium documents, lien enforcement actions, the enforcement of rules and covenants, and fair housing and discrimination matters, including requests for reasonable accommodations/modifications. Matt frequently appears before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, defending condominium associations. In addition, Matt handles all aspects of real estate acquisition, development and real estate financing services including: drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements; reviewing commercial loan documentation; conducting and reviewing title examinations; and reviewing zoning and subdivision matters.
Although the condominium and real estate practices occupy most of his time, Matt also plays an active role in the firm’s Legislative Action Group, working on legislative issues affecting condominiums. Matt brings valuable insights and invaluable experience to those activities, courtesy of his previous work as chief of staff and legislative director for a Massachusetts State Senator. During his seven years on the Senator’s staff, Matt worked on a wide range of legislative and budget initiatives.
Matt frequently writes and lectures on a variety of topics related to condominium law and legislative action.
- Connecticut College (2001)
- New England School of Law (2008)
- Community Association’s Institute (New England)
- Massachusetts Legislative Action Committee (Chair)
- Massachusetts Attorneys’ Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Association
- Recipient of the 2009 CAI-NE Volunteer Award for his efforts in ensuring the passage of legislation that exempts many condominiums from the corporate excise tax.
- Recipient of the 2014 CAI-NE Outstanding Service Award
- Recipient of the 2015 CAI-NE Excellence in Government & Public Affairs
- “Changes to the tax code and their effect on condominiums” in REBA News (Fall 2009)
- “Run-Off Rules; Proposed Stormwater Regulations and Their Effect on Condominiums” in Condo Media (February 2010)
- “New and Notable; Massachusetts 2009/2010 Legislative Updated” in Condo Media (May 2010)
- “New Funding Source; Massachusetts Legislature Passes Bill to Encourage Energy Conservation Projects” in Condo Media (July 2010)
- “Buyer Beware; Provisions of Condo Act May Be Waived” in Condo Media (August 2010)
- “Pieces of the Pie; Gov. Patrick Signs Legislation Amending How Condominium Percentage Interests Are Established” in Condo Media (October 2010)
- “Service Animal Regs Provide Guidance for Home Owner Associations and Landlords but Don’t Alter their Obligations” (December 2010)
- “Oil Heating Systems Upgrades” in Condo Media (August 2011)
- “Boston Energy Ordinance” in Condo Media (October 2013)
- “Change to Condominium Law Will Make it Easier for Associations to Obtain Mortgagee Consent when Amending Documents” (January 2015)
- “HUD Restrictions on Criminal Background Checks May Affect Condominium Sex Offender Ban” (June 2016)